Friday, February 16, 2018

Middle Grade Review: Armstrong and Charlie

Armstrong & Charlie
Neither Charlie nor Armstrong are looking forward to sixth grade. Charlie's friends are all going to different schools while Armstrong's part of a new experiment, being bused to an all white school. At first, they hate each other, making each other miserable and getting in trouble with the teachers. But the more they're thrown together, the more they begin to understand each other.
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. It tugged at the heart strings as I felt for each boy. I loved their families - and how they made these two boys come together. I like how the boys pranked each other but also how they saw how the other lives. It helped cement their friendship. I loved Mr. Khalil; he was tough but fair. A great historical novel about being different yet the same and perfect for discussions.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library
Read for: Cybils Award
Library Recommendation: Get this for both school and public libraries!

No comments: