Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: The Gauntlet

They're celebrating Farah's birthday. Because of a move, she hasn't seen her two best friends in a while. They head upstairs to try to escape her younger brother. Her aunt left her a birthday present. When they unwrap it, they find the strangest game they've ever seen: The Gauntlet of Blood and Sand.

Before they realize what happened, her younger brother vanishes into the game. They go in after him, knowing they must beat the game or be trapped inside forever. 
My Thoughts: I really loved this book. I loved the Middle Eastern flair. I loved how the friends had to come together to save Farah's little brother. Of course I loved the description of food. And the board gaming. I loved reading about the puzzles and the challenges they had to solve. I enjoyed the characters (especially the giant lizards) in the game who wanted to help them and get out of the game itself. The world building was amazingly good; I loved the descriptions. The action and the danger pulled the story along making me not want to put the book down. 

Cover Thoughts: Really Great
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have for both middle school and public libraries

1 comment:

Jordan @ForeverLostinLiterature said...

I've had my eye on this one for a while, so glad to see you enjoyed it! I definitely think I'll have to pick it up as soon as possible, I'm always on the look out for some good middle grade books. :) Great review!