Sunday, July 2, 2017

Fall Program Ideas for Kids


In case you missed it, here are my ideas for Teen Programs

I know that Summer Reading has hit the library, but I have to start thinking about Fall planning.  We have town wide newsletter form our Parks and Recs department and it's due mid July. Fall planning goes from August thru December. I don't have too many ideas, but I thought I'd share some in case any one else was planning Fall too. And let me know if you have a great fall program idea. 
September 19th: Talk Like a Pirate Day
Last year, we decorated our Circulation Desk to look like a Pirate ship for the week. And we had a few who came to create Treasure Chests. This year, I'd love to try this

November 4th: King Tut Day
I haven't thought too much about this, but I'd like to do something about King Tut. Maybe a craft or maybe a mummy program that's half educational and half entertainment. Of course there's always the Mummy Wrap game!

November 6th: Button Day
I'd like to create this or something similar:

But this could be cool too (in fall colors)

Then I like to do a community wide event in November and make Holiday Cards to the military. Last year we sent off a bunch of cards to deliver to veterans and/or veteran's families within the state. I think it's great to spread a little cheer and also to teach kids about giving back and thinking of others from an early age. We do it in November to meet the deadline. I also have a Holiday card making day for anyone to create a card for their someone special

Graham Cracker Gingerbread Houses
Last year I did a paper gingerbread house and irritated the heck out of a family who did't read the paper part of the flyer. So this year, I thoughts I'd do a food based program. But I'm combining it with a challenge - which I saw on a kids food show (I'm not sure which one). Everyone gets the same amount of candy/crackers/frosting and has a limited time to create. That way, it's not crazy expensive for the library. It's fair so one person doesn't hog all of one candy. And you can limit the sugar content (which I'm hoping the parents will like.)


No comments: