Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tween Tuesday Review: Ungifted

Donovan's always in trouble. When his latest escapade lands him in hot water, he's waiting for his punishment to come. Instead, he's invited to join the academy - the school for gifted students.

Donovan's never  been gifted at this studies, but from the moment he sets foot into his homeroom, nothing till ever be the same. He might have just wanted to escape his old school and wiggle out of punishment, but soon Donovan finds himself happy. Could it be too good to last?

My Thoughts: I'm a huge Gordon Korman fan (So are the readers at my library - especially my book club readers. We read this one for our May pick and everyone loved it.) I loved how the smart kids saw their world differently after Donovan entered their lives. I liked watching Donovan struggle with his studies, but shine at school with his other talents. I liked watching him make friends with the smart kids. I loved how he expanded their world - like showing Noah YouTube. I loved how Noah became obsessed with YouTube and how he used it. I like how the students used YouTube to share their studies of Katie and her pregnancy and how her husband could watch her progress while he was serving overseas. While I wasn't a huge fan of Donovan's public school friends - they grew on me. I Loved the robot competition - it made me laugh. A funny book about brains, talent, friendship, and finding yourself. If you haven't read Gordon Korman - do so immediately. 

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library
My Wish: I wish for a companion novel - about Noah

No comments: