Sunday, May 4, 2014

Adult Review: Barefoot Season

Michelle owns an inn on Blackberry Island, but she hasn't been back home in ten years for personal reasons. Now after 2 tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, an injury brings her home.

The inn she left looks very different today. Her mother, who recently died, just about ran it into the ground. Michelle's ex BFF has been working there ever since Michelle left, helping it run smoothly.

Now Michelle and Carly have to find a way to work together to save the inn - despite their past.  Michelle struggles with re-entering the real world. Will the fight to save the inn and working with Carly be too much for her?
My Thoughts: I've read novels about men finding their place after returning home from war, but this book is the first one I've read about from a woman's perspective. And it was powerful. I felt horrible for Michelle as she dealt with the pain of her injury and trying to come to terms with being back home.  My heart went out to Chance - I teared up at one point. I loved the banter between Carly and Michelle - even though it was hurtful at times, they were so honest with each other. Looking forward to reading more about this island.

Cover Thoughts: Perfect
Source: My Library

No comments: