Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tween Tuesday Review: Baseball Great

 * 1st in a series *

Josh's embarrassed by the school newspaper reporting on his baseball skills. He's not sure he can make the team the best in the league, but he's willing to help make it a reality.  Unfortunately, he doesn't get the chance, his father pulls him out of the school baseball program for a private one.

There Josh's put on a strict regime - plenty of excerise and protein shakes. He's struggling with the excersies and chocking down the shakes, but he's willing to try them to make him a better player. It isn't until some of the other guys try to give him pills that he starts to question the team.

He's not about to take steroids and he's not about to let this go quietly. He turns to his two best friends for help and hopes that they can come up with a plan.
My Thoughts: We read this for our March book club pick and I really liked it. I liked Josh - though I was amazed at his height at his age. I thought he was smart and he tried to do the right things. I felt bad for his father - never making his dream come true and projecting his wishes onto Josh. I wish that he had listened to his son. My favorite character might have been Jaden  - I love her smarts and her desire to achieve her dream of writing great news stories. I'm interested to see where this series goes with Josh and his friends.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library

No comments: