Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: Love Letters to the Dead

An assignment in English class turns into something SO much more when Laurel starts writing to Kurt Cobain. She writes to him because he died young - just like her sister. Laurel doesn't hand in her assignment, but she keeps writing about all the emotions swirling through her. 

My Thoughts: So many emotions run through this book: pain, grief, guilt, loss, and moving on. I felt horrible for Laurel and all that she went through. I love that she started writing to people because of a school assignment and I enjoyed the various people she shared her feelings with: Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Amelia Earhart, Heath Ledger, Judy Garland, River Phoenix, Jim Morrison, Elizabeth Bishop, Allan Lane, John Keats, and ee cummings.   A powerful debut novel that made me cry (at work) and kept me thinking about it for days afterwards.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: ARC
Release Date: April 1, 2014

No comments: