Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review: Darkest Minds

At the age of 10, something happen to children; something the government doesn't like. Either, they contract a terrible disease, or they gain powers beyond their control. They're being shipped to camps that will help cure them of their magical abilities. The camps are brutal.

The children are separated by colors in terms of their abilities. Ruby's lived for years as a green. However, a new test appears, ready to prove the correct color identity. Ruby's told in the nick of time. Someone helps her escape; someone who wants to use Ruby as a weapon.

Ruby doesn't understand much about the outside world, being locked away for six years. She comes across a group of teens, two boys and a girl. Not knowing what else to do, she stays with them. There are people looking for her. Can she stay under the radar? Can she make a new life for herself?


My Thoughts: I was so happy to get this ARC as I adored Brightly Woven. I read this ages ago, but waited to write the review a little closer to the release date. It's clear that me that Alex Bracken books will always be on my automatic-to-read list. Darkest Minds is a very different story; it's a dark dystopian with lots of danger, lots of action, and a little romance. It's a long book - just shy of 500 pages, but don't let that stop you. It's an amazing read! It stayed with me a long time after reading it. It's a unique tale that uncovers bits of information about the past and the present slowly, which made me very curious. It's not a fast read, but it will suck you in.

Cover Thoughts: Intriguing. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be.
Source: ARC from BEA
Comes out: December 18th

No comments: