Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: Sam's Letters To Jennifer

One afternoon after parting, Sam realizes that she needs to set the story straight with her grand daughter. She sits down and writes her life secrets to Jennifer. Jennifer won't read them until Sam slips into a coma and is in the hospital.

Jennifer rushes to Sam's side. She takes her work with her to Sam's house on the lake. Jennifer spent happy summers of her childhood on the lake and it's almost like coming home.

There Jennifer sees her grandmother's letters. She starts to read them, but forces herself to savor these moments. She learns that her grandparents did not have the happy marriage she imagined. She learns about life, about love, and about finding your own happiness.

Sam's life lessons might be just what Jennifer needs to get over the loss of her husband and start living her life again. 

My Thoughts: I didn't read the cover flap on this book and the whole premise of the book through me for a loop. I was expecting more of a P.S. I Love You book and instead found something much different. I loved reading about the relationship between Sam and her grandmother. It was quite touching and reminded me of my grandmother. Needless to say, I read this one with a box of tissues.

I liked watching Jennifer learn to step out of the walled existence after her grief over Danny. I liked the quiet way she started a friendship with Brendan and how it became something much more. I liked learning about Jennifer's columns and how she learned to let go a little bit of her work. It's a lesson everyone needs at times and I'm in a similar spot. 

I liked going into this book one with idea but how it turned into something completely different. It sucked me in and I couldn't stop thinking about it. It's a bittersweet read that tugged at my heartstring

Cover Thoughts: I like the lake, but it's kind of dark to see. After reading it I understand the cover, but I would have liked something more upbeat to draw me in. My eyes see the cover, but immediately move on.
Source: My Library

No comments: