Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Matinee: Hunger Games

I've been waiting for this movie for forever it seems. I couldn't wait a minute more and went to the midnight showing on Thursday night.  While there were some differences from the book, I really thought it was well done. I loved it.

Differences my husband and I noticed:  
the introduction of the pin
The saluting of Katniss
Prim (was she so terrified at the reaping in the book?)

Moments they tried to include but lost significance: 
The bread moment
The long talks between Peeta and Katniss both before the games and during the games
Haymitch's drinking problem and the deal he made with Peeta and Katniss

I heard teens in the library talking - most loved it. There was one girl who didn't like it because she felt it missed the romance of the book.

My husband and I talked about that too. I thought the romance seemed forced from Katniss's perspective, but that it was supposed to feel that way. Chris remembered her being unsure in the book - but feeling something. I thought that didn't happen until the second book.

We also had different viewpoints on the Cinna/Katniss relationship. the movie didn't show the development of the relationship - how he was unique in the Capitol, more human.  With the style team not in the movie, it made it hard to see how different he was from the others. Aside from the gold on his eyes, he didn't share the crazy fashion of the Capitol. They were close in the movie, but the relationship seems more significant in the books.

Moments that stood out for me:

The scenes between Katniss and Prim (I teared up at these scenes)


Rue's scenes:


Caesar - was great for comic relief

The Capitol costumes were amazing

How the games were controlled:  a great addition to the movies that was not detailed in the book - really cool!

Overall:
I thought it was true to the book. I loved Katniss and Peeta. I thought all the characters were well done.

 I thought the violence was handled really well - it wasn't too gruesome, but it wasn't cut out either. It was significant but not graphic.

All in all - a great movie. I hope to show it at the library. Everyone I know is buzzing about it - if they've seen it, when they're going, and what they thought of it.

What did you think of it?

1 comment:

Claire Talbot said...

I went with my daughter on Friday for a matinee. I liked it, and thought it was good, but not great. I liked the books much better. It upset me that the way Katniss got the Mockingjay pin was altered - I felt it was significant, particularly as the story continues! The romance element fell "flat" for me. I liked some of the supporting characters, and wished more was done with them - Haymitch, Cinna, and Rue. I did feel compelled to re-read them all though! It wasn't like Harry Potter, where I literally felt the movie captured what I had imagined in my own mind while reading...